Kids may get the urge to sample their slime, but that’s not a good idea, warns the Missouri Poison Center.
A number of common homemade slime recipes contain borax, a chemical that may not be harmful in small doses, but has the potential to be toxic in larger amounts. For this reason, ingesting slime or even eating other foods while playing with slime is not recommended.
“There is more risk of becoming ill when borax is encountered day after day, either by ingestion or getting in through damaged skin,” the Missouri Poison Center warns. “Symptoms of too much borax getting into the body are stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, rarely headache, lethargy, irritability, and restlessness.”
For safer slime play:
- Use corn starch-based recipes, rather than recipes that include borax.
- Only make slime with edible ingredients, like yogurt, for young kids.
- Require adult supervision when playing with slime.
- Contact your local poison control center if slime is ingested.
Slime also has the potential to get old, moldy, and germy, just like other toys. If you notice that slime is discolored, full of debris, or coming apart, it’s time to make a fresh batch.