There are few items as essential to our cleaning routine as a sponge, but is the thing we are using to clean really clean itself? All that absorbent material that helps you soak up grime also acts as spacious real estate for a host of different bacteria. If your sponge has developed that sour stink, don't chuck it in the trash can just yet. Extend the life of your sponge by learning how to disinfect a sponge in the microwave.
As your used sponge sits out on the counter or in the bottom of the sink, tons of tiny bacteria are multiplying within the pores of the material, resulting in that nasty smell that makes us all recoil. Not only does it stink to high heck, but it can even be dangerous, since sponges can carry harmful E.coli and other bacteria that can make us sick. But instead of throwing your stinky sponge in the top rack of your dishwasher, which eliminates only a minimal amount of bacteria, try disinfecting it in the microwave.